Thursday, May 15, 2008

So, everyone who doesn't want to read details of this pregnancy can skip most of these new posts. :)

I went to the Dr. today and it was NOT a good appointment. I pee'd in my cup like I always have to do at the beginning, and the lab tech knocked on the door after a little while and said there were "issues" with my sample. I ended up having bilirubin, protein, ketones and leukocytes (white blood cells). I guess I've had a little protein in there most of my checkups, but never enough that they've ever said anything. Anyway, the lab tech made it sound like it was serious, but the Dr. just said that I need to be drinking more water and I'm dehydrated.
Then I found out the results of the standard Group B Strep test and they were positive. I didn't have to deal with that during either of my other 2 babies. I asked him how you get it and he said, "how do you get a sore throat?" I guess it can come a million different ways and is fairly common and they just have to give me antibiotics during delivery so the baby doesn't get it. It's not something I'll always have, just something they want to protect the baby against.
Then the bombshell...he was checking me and had finished listening to the baby's heartbeat, etc and could see 2 big "bumps" on my tummy across from each other. He felt them both and then frowned and said, "Well, this one's the bum, but that would make that one..." He asked if the baby was head down in the last ultrasound and I told him yes. He did his internal check (I'm dilated to a 2 and still 50% effaced by the way) and could NOT feel the head. He scheduled an immediate ultrasound to find out where the baby was. If it's not head down he has to try and turn it at 37 weeks---which is TODAY!!! I went for the ultrasound and the baby IS head down, so crisis is averted. Baby also weighs approx. 6 lbs 13 oz today. He's supposed to call me later on this afternoon and let me know where we're going from here. Now that we know the baby is head down, he'll probably let me continue normally. I have been having quite a few contractions every day and dilated another cm this week, so he made it sound like I probably won't make it another 3 weeks. I hate to get my hopes up, although I do have to admit I was terrified of having the baby TODAY (usually when they turn the baby it puts you into labor)!

2 comments:

The Mehl Family said...

I know exactly what you are going through except at 37 weeks I was having Gabe. Just hang in there and it will all be over soon :)

Karyn said...

I too had one or more of those things with each one of my pregnancies. Too bad you had to hear it all in the same day! It sucks to have the antibiotic but really nothing to worry about. It will all be over soon! Then you can freak Josie out with your experience!