Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Our new sort-of obsession!

I hesitate using the word obsession. More like we have just worked so hard to get back in shape and the actual racing part is sort of addicting. Yates and I have started running. Yates is succeeding...I just limp along! LOL! We both entered and ran our first race on 4/11/09. I ran a 5k (3.1 miles) and Yates got all ambitious and ran a 10k (6.2 miles). I forgot my camera so I don't have any pictures. Yates finished in an amazing 53:39.9 min (8:39 min/mi) and I finished in 38:17.7 (12:19 min/mi). I was so proud of Yates for doing GREAT! I was proud of myself, but felt I probably could have pushed a little bit harder in a couple places so it's all experience for me.
We signed up for our 2nd race on 5/2/09. It was the Hurricane Half Marathon/5k. I ran the 5k again and Yates ran the Half Marathon (that's 13.1 miles for anyone who doesn't know)!!! He's amazing! I think he was pretty nervous, but again did really well. Yates finished with a time of 1:55:58.3 (8:51 min/mi) and I finishe din 39:35.9 (12:44 min/mi). After my race, I ran home and got the kids ready and brought them back to watch Yates come across. We were sitting there waiting for him to come across (I was guess another 15-20 more min) so I ran to get the kids some grapes and doughnut holes to eat and I heard his name come over the loudspeaker. I was so disappointed I didn't get any pictures of him coming across the finish line! I was AMAZED at how well he did!!! We both ran into some friends at the race...I ran into Stephanie who is all sorts of beautiful inside and out. I have known her forever (she is a sis-in-law to one of my best friends from high school, Angela) so she saw me grow through some of my more awkward "moments" and still loves me! She's from Idaho and when she got off the 2nd bus at the 5k start line I was shocked and grinning like a Cheshire...I LOVE HER! She had come down with her sister to run and play. We chatted and ran part of the race together. It was one of the highlights of my day! Yates ran into one of his friends from high school (DJ) after the race. He and his wife live up north and she had come down to run the half marathon and so they caught up while Yates tried not to cramp up. LOL! He said he was shocked when he heard Yates' name come over the loudspeaker when he came across the finish line...they were headed out and had to come back to see if it was really him! How funny!

8 comments:

A and L Stapley said...

Wow... you guys look so good! Crystal, i'm proud, very proud. You definitly have more motivation than i do... running is not my thing. Or at least that is always my excuse! :)

Brooke said...

Way to go you guys. I could never! I hate running, but really need to do something to get in shape.

leslie mae said...

YEA!!!! Keep it up girl!!! PS your kids are SO stinkin cute!!!!

Wayne and Stephanie Carter said...

You're such a H*O*N*E*Y? I can't stand it that we saw each other that day. It was such a candy-coated treat. I can't forget about the faces of your angels, honesty Crystal, they are dreamy cute and dreamy lucky cause I know their Mom.

Lesley said...

I am soooo glad you finally know why I run! I love that you guys are racing! It truly is something to look forward to in our old age. And they can't ever cut you from the team! I love it. Great job to both of you!

The Dennison Family (All 4 of us!) said...

Is that really Yates?!?! You both look amazingly awesome! Great job to the both of you! :)

Finley Family said...

You guys Rock! ps Why didn't you tell all the Marathon story????

Jane said...

Wow....you guys look great! Tell Yates he looks better than when I met him :-)